Job Priority Menu - (Guide on how to deal with death)

I've logged way too many hours, 31.4 to be exact since Oct 1st. on my two saves, the biggest issue is job prioritization. Especially since I started with the Iron Teeth today, on about cycle 20 currently, and just like the Folktails nearly every day a handful of beavers from old age. As of the current release jobs that beavers pick seem to have the same priority. too many times has randomly generated named beaver died and I then have a gap to fill, that I don't see right away. So the unemployed will consistently pick random jobs instead of farms, or water pumps. Best solution i've found is pausing and unpausing hauling stations until the job is filled. my god do they love to fill those first.

my suggestion is:

A job priority menu of sorts, where higher priority jobs will fill before less important jobs, like bakers and engines, when the beavers aren't collecting food fast enough. This would also serve to pull beavers from jobs to more important jobs. 

• Like 3

I just run constant unemployment, with the iron teeth it's harder to control the birth rate perfectly but with the folktails i run about 5% to 10% unemployment so that all jobs are filled, just build more houses than jobs until the unemployment never hits 0.

• Like 1

yes, in games like this unemployment is a boon, not a bane. I kinda like that. after a baby boom mass dying is inevitable. I even run an unemployment rate of about 20-30% just because I can. But on tougher maps/difficulties where this workaround is not possible, it's really annoying/dangerous to not see your waterpumping beavers die and run low on water...

So yeah: this should really be a thing!

17 hours ago, phenring said:

I just run constant unemployment, with the iron teeth it's harder to control the birth rate perfectly but with the folktails i run about 5% to 10% unemployment so that all jobs are filled, just build more houses than jobs until the unemployment never hits 0.

Oh folktails I don't see this as much since each day a new set of babies fill the empty housing. But for the iron teeth, I have housing blocks for nearly 200 beavers each. The fixed baby rate for them is hard work around unless you overwhelm them with breeding pods, then berries and water disappear much too quick in some instances. 

I read somewhere that for Ironteeth it's good to have birthing pods that are (your population) / (18 to 20) so there's always a child or two replace your old folks.  However, I haven't played Iron Teeth yet, so I can't say from experience.

What I do when I don't have unemployed beavers but need to fill things is pause a hauling post, let the other jobs fill (won't while game is paused ofc), then unpause the hauling post.

• Like 2

I'm also about 36+ hours in and I only came to the feedback forum to mention this exact thing. Just like prioritizing items in storage and prioritizing buildings by haulers, you should be able to prioritize jobs. I don't give a beaver's tail if my printing press is running when there's vacancies in my water pumps or irrigation towers. And everyone has different priorities for each map/colony they're running, so it should be customizable to fit the needs of each individual player. 

• Like 1