Placing dams/levees/flood gates on top of platforms

It would be nice to be able to place at least levees on top of platforms.  It would make an easy way to make aqueducts.  I know I could build a super tall levee but that would block water going in the other direction, and all the options to give that other water a way through don't support building on top of them, so for a high altitude aqueduct I'm not seeing any options except possibly the water dump, but that sort of defeats the purpose of an aqueduct since it's no longer just water flow.

I'm trying to bring water from the water source on the terraces map over across the valley to the basin with the giant ruin in it to make a lake.  The height would work out perfectly (after TNT'ing a hole in the side of both of them and putting in dams.)

I can't think of any other way to build it and just adding that feature would essentially add realistic aqueducts to the game.

aqueduct.png

• Like 6

with the purge water , i know it does sound fun but , install water tank and drop area with water from an other district and just drop the water with the purge water ...i know it not what you want but it doable

• Like 1

luc, that was my next step.  I'm a bit gunshy about it though.  I already killed a whole district population when I forgot to turn it off during the drought and didn't have deep enough reservoirs in the district for pumps.

Maybe we need an option to turn water tanks into 'drink only' tanks so you can segregate the emergency supply from the public works.

There are so many advanced objects I want... a mineral drill so you can get more metal late game, log pipes... maybe not enough flow to replace the need for an aqueduct but the ability to balance the water between connected barrels, maybe an aquifer pump... super expensive but a constant source of water.  Rain and rain barrel/cisterns.  A proper lodge with an underwater entrance like real beavers!

Right now I am dynamiting my streets and replacing them with platforms so that I can run water under them.  I need to decide if I'm going to blast deep enough to make them into true reservoirs or just deep enough to irrigate the land around them.

I also realized that my giant platforms off the side of the plateau are wasting space... I should have built stacks of warehouses or something and then just had stairs going through to access them.  I still could have built on top.  (Only matters on the 'dry' ones.  The ones under water really just should be platforms, but actually, I have plenty of water and could build 'dry' areas even in that.  🙂 

I don't see how this is useful for you; having water coming out from a platform underneath is no different from building a flood gate if the source is only one block deep. This is only useful when you have a very deep reservoir/dam and you want to drain it from the bottom, i.e. regardless of the water level in the reservoir/dam.

Currently you cannot build aqueduct or any kind of structure that allows water to flow over "air" because water is represented in this game not as a block like Minecraft but a single height value per square on the map, so you cannot have water flow over air because the air below would be underwater by definition.

Yea, what @chan3 said. Right now water is just a single mesh driven by a height map (and cellular automata for flow?) so it isn't easily doable.  They could create separate meshes for each XZ plane on every level of the Y axis, but that approach would have it's own issues to sort out.

@G4M5T3R It would still be useful for building higher dams though. Current there is simply no point in building a dam higher than 3 (6 if you use a lot of iron teeth water pump and water dump), since you cannot extract the water in the lower part of the dam without resorting to deleting a column of levees.

33 minutes ago, chan3 said:

@G4M5T3R It would still be useful for building higher dams though. Current there is simply no point in building a dam higher than 3 (6 if you use a lot of iron teeth water pump and water dump), since you cannot extract the water in the lower part of the dam without resorting to deleting a column of levees.

A month long drought alone can evaporate 2 whole tiles of water. There are certainly use cases for proper aqueducts. What the OP is trying to achieve can already be done strictly using levee blocks but that would cost 2x the wood and damn up any rivers in its path which may or may not be an issue. Simply adding the ability to place a levee on a platform isn't asking for much. It just happens to not be that easy/straight forward to do with the current implementation.

Edited by G4M5T3R
  • Like 1
On 9/26/2021 at 1:24 AM, Nacaoran said:

It would be nice to be able to place at least levees on top of platforms.  It would make an easy way to make aqueducts. 

I was also thinking about putting levees on top of platforms. For another reason tho:
I would like to use a high floodgate on one side, but let the water only come out on the other side on a low point. I got really frustrated seeing the land nearby immediately go underwater because I opened the floodgate for half a block. This is also how dams in real life work, the water doesn't spill over the top. It comes out from a lower point. But I dropped the idea completely when I saw you couldn't put a levee on a platform. 😒

Example:

image.png.86b59379f2a0f3747592cdf465cbd8de.png

5 hours ago, G4M5T3R said:

Simply adding the ability to place a levee on a platform isn't asking for much. It just happens to not be that easy/straight forward to do with the current implementation.

Exactly, just a question. How it has to be implemented? I don't know :3

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Erumaa said:

I was also thinking about putting levees on top of platforms. For another reason tho:
I would like to use a high floodgate on one side, but let the water only come out on the other side on a low point. I got really frustrated seeing the land nearby immediately go underwater because I opened the floodgate for half a block. This is also how dams in real life work, the water doesn't spill over the top. It comes out from a lower point. But I dropped the idea completely when I saw you couldn't put a levee on a platform. 😒

Example:

I haven't tested this yet but can you put a levee on a dam? The low point would be a little lifted in that case but still reasonably low when compared to 3+ levees in front of it.

• Like 1

@Erumaa Aesthetic reason aside, this is important because currently with max 3 height floodgate you can only drain the top 3 levels of water in a reservoir.

Since allowing levees on platform, or levees on floodgate doesn't seem to be technically possible at the moment (no multi-level water), only way I can see this can be added into the game as of now is to add some kind of stackable floodgate, that still doesn't allow you put levees on top, but can be built as high as you want.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Erumaa said:

Example:

That would work and no changes to water would be necessary. A heightmap is just a 2D array of floats that usually range from 0 to 255 because the data is usually stored in a greyscale image where each pixel represents elevation. Because it's 2D the issue comes from wanting to use that same levee on a platform idea for other designs where the water is raised in 3D i.e an aqueduct.

In this rough example the platforms would be submerged which is not the intended effect:

Aqueduct.png

Edited by G4M5T3R

Again, I get it that there might be a technical issue. Just explaining my idea and the reason for my request for levees on platforms :3

And hope the devs see my request and think: hey that's cool, we need to do something with that 🤔

Edited by Erumaa

There seem to be two separate issues that could be resolved separately.  Putting a levee on a platform (maybe even one of those pretty late game metal ones) would let you move water over valleys.

Being able to put dams or floodgates lower down in a dam structure would allow us to tap a whole reservoir.  That would rely on some form of water pressure sensing.  I've noticed that there does seem to be some flow rate detection where sometimes a dam or floodgate is just too narrow to let enough water through, so that seems to be in the game mathematically already.

I think I mentioned somewhere the idea of a more advanced tech that let you use the depth gauge as a floodgate control.  I like the idea of being able to incorporate automation into adjusting flood gates.  You still have to figure out what level they should be at, but I've got some multi-dam systems that I almost need to write out a control list to operate.  I'm having more problems with flooding behind levees than anything else.  I really wish there was a full creative mode to test some of these things.  I'm frustrated with rebuilding massive overhauls to systems only to find that the new solution doesn't work.  (Right now I'm thinking about building a set of water pumps in a chamber with flood gates on 3 sides... one is an emergency release, one is a normal inflow (letting me use it as my primary pumps for water) but the 3rd side would open up onto my land below sea level.  By closing the inflow, opening the outflow, and opening the flooded areas I want to be able to use it to quickly dry out flooded areas, but this is a late game rework and I'm terrified something won't work the way it would in the real world.  The floodgate heights worry me... I'm thinking it might also be nice to have a little more control over water tanks.  I droughted my beavers to death once trying to use the water dump.  I'd like to be able to designate specific tanks to link to the water dump so that the beavers don't collect from my emergency supply.  Of course that means I need someplace downstream to dump water or I need to deliberately keep some tanks empty.  I've had problems pumping areas dry because I just don't have the space for the water.  (I was trying to pump an area dry last night so I could plant berries to exploit the underwater berry glitch... I hope we get some water plants.  I just pretend they are water berries.)

So I doubt we will ever be able to put dams over something that will allow water to flow under it.  I could see someone going crazy and just stacking that multiple times to create several "aqueducts" all on top of each other, and as others have said, the water flow mechanics would have to be overhauled for that.

That being said, I think the solution is simple -- let us have wooden pipes similar to the ones for power. Just need to program in different types of water pressure. Gravity fed? Uphill pumps? Attached sprinklers???

• Like 1