Floodgates Require Finer Controls

To start with, THANK YOU for making such an amazing game! I am sooooo hooked. However, the one perpetual annoyance I have is that the levels for the floodgates are not fine enough. Only being able to go by half-levels makes it almost impossible for them to serve much purpose for what they are intended to do. If I want to step-down water levels on a single terrain level I only get ONE gate with which to do that. I would like instead of half-level control to be more like either quarter-level or fifth-level controls so that within a single terrain height I can stage the water across 3-4 gates instead of just 1 in order to keep my water wheels turning. That would be a massive QoL game-changer for me as I could just set the levels right for my stagings, and not have to continually go back and fiddle with them like I do now. Late game it seems like all you're doing is tweaking floodgates to stage water manually as you need to "feather" gates to get precision flow control, seeing as you can't set finer controls on floodgates right now.

• Like 6

I agree!

A lot of time goes to controlling gates and water levels.

I have another request: A floodgate or dam gate that opens at the bottom which you can build levees on. That would make it possible to build water reservoirs very high and not being limited to the height of triple gates.

And also WOW, I love this game, logged 45h so far.

• Like 2

Maybe a valve-block, which only lets water through at a specified rate (as opposed to a specific height) would solve this problem.

Such a valve could for instance let you run a small channel out from the bottom a large reservoir.

• Like 3

I considered this too, but it doesn't solve the issue as that would only control FLOW RATE, not the water level on the incoming side. What's most important for me is to set the minimum outflow LEVEL, not rate, because the level is what's important to keeping things flowing without needing to constantly feather/tweak, and to keeping water wheels spinning. With flow rate controls, you would still need to feather them frequently so that wouldn't be much of a QoL improvement. Flow rates will vary over time and during draughts, but setting minimum levels on floodgates would ensure that a certain difference in minimum level is maintained throughout the entire flow staging of your system, regardless of flow rate.

I mentioned something like this in passing in one of my comments.  How about if the water gauge could be linked to the floodgates and you could set a goal height.  If the water went above that level the gates would go down one stage until it went back down?

(edit... and for a flood gates in a chain you could have a third option.  Currently you can have them either independent or in sync, but how about an option where you set them, but then they move in relative tandem based on the gauge, so if you have them at .5 and 1, then the water level is getting to high they would go up to 1 and 1.5?

2 hours ago, Nacaoran said:

I mentioned something like this in passing in one of my comments.  How about if the water gauge could be linked to the floodgates and you could set a goal height.  If the water went above that level the gates would go down one stage until it went back down?

Nah, I don't need anything nearly that complex. The easiest solution to implement for the devs is all I need, and that's the ability to step-down Floodgates at increments more fine than half-level. Quarter-level or fifth-level increments on all existing floodgates would be enough increments and should be a simple solution for the devs to implement. No special logic or programming necessary, it's just a quick change to a UI element and an existing logic element.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Teshido said:

i don't really fine control of my floodgates since i use them mainly for making waterholes so i have infinite amount of water then uses other power buildings ie windmills or the engines to supply power for my bases

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

1 minute ago, jurann said:

I'm not sure I understand what's going on there... also "Engine"? Are you playing using mods or something? I don't have any such building in my game.

im playing the Iron Beaver race not the Folktails. Folks get Windmills and Iron get Engines

Edited by Teshido

Agree with the above comments about giving finer controls.

My main problem with the dam and floodgates is that their height seems to be about 0.5 blocks. It's not too much an issue in normal difficulty, but on hard that half block dries entirely during the drought particularly in the early game when dynamite and larger floodgates aren't available.

A simple quality of life solution would be to change the dam height to 0.9 or 0.95 and add a 0.9-0.95 level to the floodgates. I don't think finer controls (0.6, 0.8, 0.75) would add "that" much to my QOL as you usually have time in the dry season to open the floodgates and raise them when your getting near full on your lower body of water.

Agree with the above comments about giving finer controls.

My main problem with the dam and floodgates is that their height seems to be about 0.5 blocks. It's not too much an issue in normal difficulty, but on hard that half block dries entirely during the drought particularly in the early game when dynamite and larger floodgates aren't available.

A simple quality of life solution would be to change the dam height to 0.9 or 0.95 and add a 0.9-0.95 level to the floodgates. I don't think finer controls (0.6, 0.8, 0.75) would add "that" much to my QOL as you usually have time in the dry season to open the floodgates and raise them when your getting near full on your lower body of water.

5 hours ago, Yunru said:

Am I weird for wanting a setting that automatically adjusts it to try and ensure some water flows through? 

That would be a flow-control gate, and while I don't really have anything against the idea of that, it's also not really what I'm asking for as it wouldn't solve my issue. I want fixed heights for my floodgates to staging, but also want them to still hold back water completely during a drought. The existing floodgates do that well, I just want more increments for them, instead of 0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 - I want 0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure that the floodgates are operating properly at all. 

Floodgates are just that: gates in dams that are lowered when flooding is expected to keep dams from being overwhelmed, and raised to maintain water levels in the reservoir. Water still comes into the reservoir at its normal pace, and through dam outlets at its normal pace otherwise. 

In my last attempt, I had to keep the floodgates open all the time in order to prevent my town from flooding. This is not the correct way to use them. It's as if putting floodgates in upstream causes an opposite effect. 

So, either I'm doing something wrong, or the devs don't actually understand the purpose of the things. Either is possible.