Flash floods, Forest fires, and Ancient trees

I thought it be neat if there was another type of seasonal mechanic in the game. Possible during the rainy season, there would be a chance for a flash flood to occur. I think this could temporary increase the power of water source blocks by 4, for around a minute. A lot of the game is built around containing your water sources, but with if they began to surge and flood the nearby valleys? I think this would be a fun and difficult game mechanic to deal with, adding more variety to the realistic natural disasters your beavers must deal with. I also think that this should only be possible on the third and fourth difficulty levels, as severe flooding would require significant infrastructure to deal with, alongside having a far more destructive capability then a drought.

Another idea is there to be rare massive trees on the map. Maybe only around 3 on a 256x256. These would be species such as Redwoods or Sequoias, and would drop around 75-100 wood. The catch being that no tribe is capable of replanting them, making them a very valuable source of initial wood, or simply existing to add diversity to the landscape.

Lastly I think a spreading fire mechanic could be really interesting. Wildfires could either have a small chance to start if trees are next to a building that uses fires (social campfire and such), or potentially from a random lightning strike. You could have a building with beavers dedicated to stopping fires, which could have its own water storage. This also might be better off being locked to the 3rd or 4th difficulty levels, as it could quickly overwhelm a new or inexperienced player

• Like 6

Love the idea of floods because it puts an emphasis on flow rate and overflow contingency, two things that don't a lot of attention in the loop of reservoir expansion that dominates the game. That said, I would appreciate a heads-up like we get for droughts.

• Like 2

I love the idea of weather/natural disasters other than just a wet and dry season.  In regards to the heads up - maybe they could add more specific science buildings such as Meteorologists that can only be operated by beavers with Knowledge in order to see things other than the basic drought coming? 

• Like 2
On 9/24/2021 at 4:23 PM, Vorpalwarp said:

I love the idea of weather/natural disasters other than just a wet and dry season.  In regards to the heads up - maybe they could add more specific science buildings such as Meteorologists that can only be operated by beavers with Knowledge in order to see things other than the basic drought coming? 

Maybe a Meteorologist for the Iron Teeth, that requires Knowledge, and a Soothsayer or Druid for Folktails that requires Spirituality? 

Edited by Brask
  • Like 1

Maybe move the water level stick to a weather tab, and include meteorological outpost, the water level marker, a barometric device, thermometer, etc. The more of these devices you have, the better your beaver can predict the weather. More stations in a district would not improve this, but having others in separate districts would aid in meteorological knowledge. It should also take a moderate amount of science to unlock each measuring tool (ranging a couple hundred to a few thousand), in addition to the knowledge/spirituality mentioned above.

It's also worth noting that the game lacks local weather events (like local rain). This would pair well with such an expansion, as you could get weak global predictions but strong local predictions of weather.

Edited by Chandarin