QoL improvements (Building group selections, in-game statistics)

Lind

I've been playing the game for +100 hours now, and I'm loving it. I love every update you made, from adding stuff like dandelions and medicine and gravity battery, to balance changes (like the Engine fuel consumption). Keep it up, folks!

Suggestions:

Add an option for selecting a group of buildings and controlling them all at once. If that's too much, even a "select all type-X buildings in district" is a good thing to have. Managing storage becomes much easier like that, all play-pause on water pumps on drought cycles will be easier, too.

Add some in-game statistics report: how much food, water, logs, etc. are produced on an average day (maybe a moving average over the cycle?) is nice to have, also an "age pyramid" of the beavers is nice. I almost lost the whole colony to a fluctuating population situation.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this.  Totally agree.  Great example is the golem parts factory.  I stack 3 of them together.  One for each type of part.  Would be great to turn them on/off with the click of one button.

I would also like to know my daily production rates!

The population thing was tricksy for me at first.  When I first started the game I was looking at my children pop. more than my unemployed pop.  Big mistake.  I was suddenly without a bunch of workers and had a lot of kids.  I never considered the fact that when you reach max population, children are only born when you have a vacant bed.  Now I keep a buffer of unemployed beavers and the population fluctuations are gone.  At a population of 100 beavers I try to keep about 10 unemployed.  So basically a 10% unemployed rate.  This is not including beavers that would be working in a building but it is paused.  So if i have 5 buildings turned off I would actually have 15 unemployed.  It barely effects your economy too.  My farms and water pumps handle the freeloaders just fine. 😂  That being said, a icon up in the population box that tells you how many Elders are in the colony would be great. 

I did the same thing when I played "Folktails". They need a small unemployment rate. Here, I was talking about when played the "Iron Teeth". If you haven't played them yet, they reproduce in a different way. They have breeding pods that produce a child every 5 days, no matter if you have a vacant building or not.

My case was complex and very fun do deal with!

In my case, I did some calculations: my beavers were reaching an age of 65 before dying, so, every pod could maintain a constant population of 13. With 6 pods, I was expecting a population of about 70. I had 3k of food and 6k of water in storage, that should have been enough for 22-day-long droughts I was having in hard mode. It was going well for 3 cycles already and I was confident that it can go steady.

And all of a sudden, my water was running out. What happened was I finished a monument that gave a life expectancy boost to my beavers, and population went up to 104. This was combined with a 32 day drought. To preserve water, I turned off a second water dump. That second water dump was watering half of my food production, and with 3k food, it should have been fine, but no! The half it watered was mostly carrots, which produce food faster than anything else. With carrots gone, food storage was almost gone by the end of the drought, and my beavers ate 1200 berries I stored. The drought killed the berry bushes as well. I didn't water them, they were near a deep part of the river bed that never dried up before. The thing is, iron tooth cannot reproduce without berries, and for a whole cycle I had zero berries in storage and no way to get any. When the new berries came out and children reproduction restarted, my beaver population was badly aging. I barely had enough beavers to run the pumps during the super short wet season to save enough water for the long dry season, and this time water storage killed almost everybody. Population went down from 104 to a mere 17+8 children by the end of the next cycle, and the colony barely survived.

I learned my lesson, though. Lol

Yea.... I've suffered from the berry death spiral.  I was unfortunate enough to have left my game running when I thought it was paused and got dinner.  Came back to no food, 4 beavers, and no berries.  They starved to death before the bushes popped.  I was gone for a good half hour so I'm fairly certain they took a beating in one drought and I came back at the tail end of a second drought.

• Like 1