Basic automation/logic/programming of floodgates and other things

Pekz0r

It would be very fun if you could automate things like floodgates based on simple if this...then that conditions. Some examples that I can come up with during my pretty limited play time are:
- Open/adjust floodgates based on water level and/or current.
- Open/adjust floodgates based on power level. This is great when combining water wheels with wind power. When you have wind turbines delivering power you want to save the water, and when there is no wind, you want to open the floodgates fore your water wheels.

This could surely be applied to a lot of more things now in the future, but this is the things I have really found a need for so far.

On hard mode you really need to micro manage this to survive and that gets very tedious after a while. 
To keep it realistic the adjustments should require a beaver to monitor this and make the changes. 

Some other unrelated things.
Another thing is priorities for distribution posts and materials for manufacturing(for example you can set high priority for logs to one paper mill and then all the available logs go there until the storage on the paper mill is filled up).
It would also be good if you could get some idea of how many workers you need in distribution posts and district centers, or at least how many that are idle right now. Maybe you can set them to leave their post completely when there is no job to do. This last thing would also apply to lumberjack and gather flags. 

• Like 6

Some circuitry (sensors, combinators, comparators, arithmetic, and constant providers) would be great. Not only to manage flood gates, but even for automate other decisions (assign more or less beavers to production, science, and farming) based on energy levels, seed/tree growth, etc.

But then, maybe Timberborn would look too much like Factorio (just add transport belts…)?

On 9/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Pekz0r said:

To keep it realistic the adjustments should require a beaver to monitor this and make the changes.

OK so I just found this post.  Yesterday, I wrote about this very subject in my own post.  I am copying it to here to keep the topic consolidated.  I added a sentence or two from the original.  

I 100% would like to see this happen.  Please keep in mind that I have not yet started hard difficulty so I may not know of potential options people may want for the gate control such as:

On 9/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Pekz0r said:

- Open/adjust floodgates based on power level. This is great when combining water wheels with wind power. When you have wind turbines delivering power you want to save the water, and when there is no wind, you want to open the floodgates fore your water wheels.

Everything I can think of off the top of my head is controlled by beavers or golems, except for the flood gate.  So my recommendation is this:  Hear me out. 

A beaver colony such as this would certainly have a river watch.  Dams and water would be closely monitored at all times.  After all, water is life.  We need a Riverwatch building. 

• 2x2 or 2x3 blocks, 2 blocks high in size that must be placed on a water line.
  • It has a small 1 block dock on the back with a stream gauge at the end (putting the stream gauge 2 blocks out into the water).  The dock does not block water flow.
  • Click to target a gate like you would when using a Distribution Post. This allows one team of 2 beavers to control one chain of linked flood gates. (Each gate requires 2 beavers to work.  Think of it like day shift and night shift.  Both or nothing.).  While you can target a gate on the other side of the map, remember that the beaver has to run all the way to the dam from the Riverwatch building to make the adjustments.  So placement will be a factor.  Not to mention access to a dam should be restricted to ones in the same district.
  • Up to 4 employees.  So 2 gates max per Riverwatch.
  • Acts as housing for the employees.  Its a 24 hour job.  (Hence the 2 beavers per gate.)
  • Does not need power.
  • Beavers would never use golems for such an important task.
  • An option to unlock with science points that would allow a second set of protocols to be made for drought season.

OK great but what does it do?

I guess imagine the beavers standing on the dock with a pair of binoculars monitoring the dam and checking the water flow using the stream gauge.

When the Riverwatch building is selected you are presented with a few options.  Each team can only do one of the selected jobs.

• Monitor Water height.  Either open or close gate based on selected height of water.  So open when at height X and close when at height Y.  Gate opens gradually to help prevent surging water.  After all, a beaver wouldn't be doing a good job if he kept on flooding out the potatoes.

-----OR-----

• Monitor Water speed.  Either open or close gate based on selected water current speed.  So open/close when below/above X cms.  Gate open/closes gradually.  Beavers need to be precise in order to prevent having to make lots of adjustments.

I feel like this would be a cool way to semi-automate water flow while still incorporating beavers into the mix.  It fits with the theme of the game and doesn't require a bunch of sensors, wires, switches, etc.  

On 9/19/2022 at 3:10 PM, Thierry3D said:

Some circuitry (sensors, combinators, comparators, arithmetic, and constant providers) would be great. Not only to manage flood gates, but even for automate other decisions (assign more or less beavers to production, science, and farming) based on energy levels, seed/tree growth, etc.

I don't think using circuitry with the beavers is the way to go however, programming the golems with a job priority would be cool and I feel fits better with the theme.  With that alone you can do some pretty advanced automation.

• Like 1

I don't think using circuitry with the beavers is the way to go however, programming the golems with a job priority would be cool and I feel fits better with the theme.  With that alone you can do some pretty advanced automation.

But golems are only late game, so no automation before? 

• Like 1

A small control tower with a beaver that would adjust some lock depending of one or multiple stream gauge would be a nice addition to the game, it would let the player focus on other project once a proper dam is built, late game with a golem that could allow 24h/24h control of dam.

• Like 1