An "No Districts" Gamemode would be nice

Hey Defs,

first off thanks for the game, it´s really nice and acually my favorite building game.

I would love to have no districts ( I dont like that part) So when there could be a modus for no districts would be great, i would love to build one big beaver city. 🙂

Also 2 and 3 Level stairs and L- shape Stairs would be a nice add. for the game.:) 

Keep up the good work!

cheers :)

• Like 1

I'd kind of like something in between.  I like districts, but I get frustrated when I have to start a new district just to build a tiny dam or something.  I'd like something like a work camp, a building that could be a little farther from the district, but not all the way across the map.  Maybe it could work something like this- It can support 10 beavers, and you assign one slot from a distribution post to it, but unlike the way distribution posts usually work, it operates on a demand system.  It sends them food and water, and supplies for whatever they are building within range.  You can build some housing there and the beavers will stay in it at night, but otherwise they go back to their district at night.  (Building housing saves them some commute time in the morning.)  Maybe let them take advantage of a campfire too, but basically they are there to work.  The distribution post keeps them supplied (as long as the home district has the supplies for them).  If the camp doesn't have enough food and water they go home.  You can build them work flags for scrap, wood and harvesting berries and dandelions, and they'll do construction, but they won't support more advanced jobs like farms and mills.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

After 50+ hours in the game I totally support this idea, district are just tedious and boring , maybe a simple buffer chest system  just like Factorio would be an alternative way to transfert good far away with a copy paste control for the sender, receiver that would allow multiple quick extension of the colony.

Basically let the player be responsible for the supply and face the consequences of bad management but do not limit the beavers distance, if a beaver need to travel too long to eat, sleep or any other need he will lose work time, lose is buff, get sick with negative effect for too much walking etc...

Also district prevent players to do waky, fun, innovative construction just because of the frustration to set new district to do so. Maybe the golem could run a  logic chest sytem as alternative way for quick extension in the end game that would still prevent the player of expanding too fast in the beginning, mid game.

For now even just a copy paste option for all the chest and building would really be a game changer for district, setting everything manually over and over again is particularly annoying.

(sry for the bad english not my native language)

I don't like the districts either. It's difficult if not impossible to exchange all (!) resources between them.

There's a nice and easy concept in Surviving Mars that really works well. Beavers from each district can already access warehouses which are in proximity of the District Center. All you would have to do is place District Centers so that their ranges overlap and then build a warehouse where both District Centers have access.

I disliked districts at first too.  It felt clunky and unnecessary.  But I have grown into liking them.  I would not be able to build up what I am currently working on with something like a work camp.  It would just take too long.  The important thing to keep in mind is that it should only be semi-dependent on the main part of your town.  If you only use 1 distribution center, you have 10 item you can transfer.  That's more than enough for most construction projects, 4 food, logs, planks, gears, and metal is 8.  Basically all you need for general building.  Occasionally you need other stuff but you can use those other two slots on and off for things.  But you should totally buffer that a bit.  Definitely produce your own water in a district (that's why I didn't include that).  Grow a small plot of carrots.  They are eaten raw so only need one beaver.  I would recommend a tree farm for logs if you are building a large reservoir.    Add dandelions next to your carrots to make medicine.  Sunflowers too.  Easy to make food.  Now you are down to 5 products being imported.  

I agree, districts could use a little fine tuning, but there are a few things about districts that I really like.  For example, with a district I can work on 2 projects at once instead of one.  I don't need to wait for the building queue to catch up.  It really sucks waiting for 80 dynamite to get built just so that you can do something else.  A cool little trick, as long as the paths don't touch, you can have 2 districts work on one project at once.  Paths offer a zone for beavers to work in and they can overlap.  Also, power is shared across the entire map.  It is only the paths that cannot touch.  My current power network follows almost the entire river with water wheels and gearing and a giant gravity battery system. 9 blocks high plus dug down.  I think they can lower down 12 blocks total with 12 batteries on top.  It powers all of the districts at once. 

I am enjoying the game alot, loving the graphics and modelling, soundtrack setting up the supply chains and undertaking massive building projects, changing the landscape of the map to suit the colony and ensuring survival with mega dams and controls. My biggest issue I have is with the districts mechanic and i would hope for a recycling/reclamation building/feature. I am only a casual player and would appreciate a game mode that doesn't utilize the Districts system, it does take a bit to manage districts and learn how to utilize the system effectively.