So I just played the demo today. The first game I failed because I didn't know the second dry season are much longer.

For my second game, I stocked enough food and water (~30 small water tank) to last the entire dry season, but I failed to construct a dam in time. Once I used up all my log supply a few day into the season the rest of 10+ days of dry season is just a waiting game on 7x speed because there nothing I can do at all.

Not sure if the dry season is specifically long on the demo, but if it's this long I wish I could speed up time faster, etc. 

• Like 1

Yeah. I understand that the point is to have a dam-ed river or irrigation system and this feedback is kinda "not how it should be played". But that's correct. The river is dry, and I only have enough water in the water tank for the population to survive but not for any irrigation. So in that case, it's just waiting game because I cannot grow tree, farms, etc, etc.

I also felt like dry season content was just watching the game play out at 7x speed until water returned. One thing I think that could help dry season content is being able to scale back water usage by limiting the hours the beavers work in a day. It could be one way to pull yourself through an otherwise long dry season, if fewer work hours leads to decreased water consumption. Perhaps another resource not dependant on water that we could use to build stuff with during dry season. Stone, maybe, to build aqueducts or wells? Wells could have greatly reduced water output during dry season because the water level of  the aquifer drops or something. Not enough to make it easy, but enough to buffer against the feeling of just watching the water stores go down and down and down until everyone dies.

I also thought it would be kind of neat if there was some cursory interaction with the beavers. Like some kind of beaver newscast projecting the coming dry season may be particularly harsh. Not sure if the 10 year dry season was just for demo purposes, but the first dry season went alright then I was wholly unprepared for dry season # 2

• Like 2

Yeah, I felt the second dry season wasn't something we were made to progress through. I either didn't get the wood for a dam in time, or couldn't construct enough tanks for water. I'd die either way during that second dry spell.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

You can out last the second dry season.  But you do need to dam more water then the first to get ready for it.  There is plants to do in the first dry season, you should be working on perp for your second dam at least.  But the second on it very much a wait and see if you make it.

• Like 1

Make sure you research the Forester before the end of the first season, so that tree production is full swing before the halfway point of the second wet season. don't concentrate so much on water tanks because you can keep pumping from the river as long as it has water. Don't irrigate. the demo is too short for that. blast a channel for the river to flow into instead to get the last of the land at the river level irrigated.

what scares me more than the drought is that there are references in some of the writeups to floods. I have no idea what it will take to correct those!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 8:53 AM, Gnoll said:

Perhaps another resource not dependant on water that we could use to build stuff with during dry season.

I know what you mean. I've previously suggested Clay as a resource that can be collected during the dry seasons, left behind in the riverbed after it dries out, to add more versatility to the cycle. Pretty useful material for both bakeries, forges, dams, and aqueducts. Goes well with the natural materials theme the beaver's got going too.

• Like 1