Stairs over stairs

Loias

I would love to see the ability to build stairs over stairs. A human stairwell has the upper stairs as the roof of the stairs you're on. But in TB you have to place a platform above the stairs to build the next level. This makes for very awkward and inefficient wrapped stair designs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i hate making stairs in the game currently. requires 3 tiles out to make a stair case for 1 level. u have to multiply that a ton for multiple stops on multiple levels. netting something like 5x1 for a 2 level staircase, or 7x1 for 3 levels, and the walkways to where they need to go, and room to wrap it back around to go another direction.
would love to have spiral stair ladder tiles where u just put it and it stacks, and they can go up on those tiles instead of diagonly.

same thing w/power lines. no reason i can't build a vertical twisting log pole instead of a ton of gears going up diagonally.

A double helix staircase is a constant 3 by 3, on any number of levels you wish, and expands nicely in any direction thanks to two landings per level (see attached screenshot, explanation below).

One of such existing staircases was designed by Leonardo da Vinci in the castle of Chambord, for the French king François 1er. Here is a picture, and an article about it, with some plans at the end that are exactly what we are looking for in Beavertown. In real life, it permits walking different stairs when going up or down, which avoids collisions, though it seems beavers are a lot more agile than human nobility.

About the screenshot: the double helix staircase (right) is made of two spiral staircases (left), going in the same direction but with a 180° rotation. You can even place a piece of decoration in the center, so all beavizens using the staircase get to look at it.

Double helix.png

Edited by Amaterasu_Oomikami

• 2 weeks later...

I really must say a BIG THANKS to Amaterasu_OomikamiI just did not understand you could put a double platform over a staircase. I knew you could not put a single platform over a staircase. And so building a nine level timber storage became overly complex.

Sadly it was not intuitive for me - I can blame my age.

Thank you! THANK YOU!

20220208113954_1.thumb.jpg.8df1a11fbaa06e0a65900ad5d0a0a15b.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...