assigning building priority for filling vacancies

sethiusdraven1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I also think that you should be able to set staffing priorities for buildings overall; so if you have no unemployed beavers, but someone dies, then one of the lower-priority buildings will send a staff member to a high-priority building. Like if the beavers that work in the farmhouse die while there are no unemployed beavers to take their place, then employed beavers from other buildings (like the paper factory or bakery) will take their place to keep food production on track.

I once lost a colony because no one was working at the water pump in the days leading up to a long drought.

• Like 2

I joined this forum to make this very post. It's INCREDIBLY annoying. I started a new game after this new patch and was off on one end building my 2nd district, totally unaware that my 1st one was having water issues due to me forgetting to turn on the pumps after the drought ended.

I scrambled to save the first district, but had this very issue because no one was filling the pump station job despite me constantly pausing other buildings. These beavers are all thirsty and started to die, but not one of them went to the pump. They kept going to other jobs I had available like haulers, builders, etc first.

Finally I had to pause every last building to get one of them into the pump. If we could set job priority on buildings, this would never have happened. This is seriously the one issue that is keeping me from truly enjoying the game, the massive micromanaging to get the beavers where they need to go just so they can survive.

E

• Like 1

I agree on providing a player control (< decrease by 1, or > increase by 1) on the Job listing so that I can intentionally redistribute the work force.  Then I don't have to toggle buildings on and off to control where the work stopped and transferred to.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 5:42 PM, Lambadaschnitte said:

This is probably the most important thing that needs improvement over everything else.

I have to correct myself. This is the second most important thing, after improving the game performance. There is something seriously wrong with that. But after that, it would be great if the assinging building priority would be addressed 🙂

• Like 1

Job assignment is a pretty big hole in the game design.  Loosing a whole colony because every beaver, even ones dying of thirst or starving, refuse to operate water pumps or gather berries kinda sucks.  

There are various ways you could implement this:

Assigning individual beavers to specific buildings or tasks.

A priority queue for resource production.

A "critical infrastructure" category, that shuts down pretty much everything until all food and water structures are assigned workers.

Plus others I'm sure.

I mean, I suppose I could see beavers ignoring food and water to fix an actively leaking dam, but other than that they tend to prioritize food and water.   After all, Populus ssp. cambium is not exactly a high calorie food source, so  you can't ignore mealtimes.

• Like 1