Map editor tricks (Guide)

Jojo

I figured out four tricks I'd like to share with you.  

In all cases, you need to edit the save-file in notepad. I might be hard at first to find the right value. 

To have editable save-files, you'll need an older version of Timbernorn. You can load these maps later on in a newer Timberborn-version, to update it to the .timber - extension.

1. You can drain water, by making the strength-property of a watersource negative

"Template":"WaterSource","Components":{"WaterSource":
{"SpecifiedStrength":-5.0,"CurrentStrength":-5.0},"BlockObject":{"Coordinates":{"X":1,"Y":5,"Z":3}}}},
{"Id":"ad1b4e68-2530-4109-9bfa-56fb66c891b4"

The Currentstrength wil after a drought be overwritten by SpecifiedStrength

2. You can make a watersource create much more water, to make the strength higher. normaly, its 1

Template":"WaterSource","Components":{"WaterSource":
{"SpecifiedStrength":4.0,"CurrentStrength":4.0},"BlockObject":{"Coordinates":{"X":8,"Y":8,"Z":3}}}},
{"Id":"e78ef831-588f-46fe-b8a9-e95e2db6d46a"

3. You can make bigger trees, by adjusting DiameterScale and HeightScale. Normally, its between 1.2 and 0.8

"Template":"Maple","Components":{"BlockObject":{"Coordinates":
{"X":6,"Y":2,"Z":4}},"Growable":{"GrowthProgress":1.0},"CoordinatesOffseter":{"CoordinatesOffset":
{"X":-1.000050001,"Y":3.000050001}},"NaturalResourceModelRandomizer":
{"Rotation":132.8161,"DiameterScale":5.859234,"HeightScale":4.9629283},"Yielder:Cuttable":{"Yield":
{"Good":{"Id":"Log"},"Amount":160

4. You can also make this tree yield more logs. (makes sense, right?). But! Its not shown when you click on the tree. When the tree is chopped down, this ammount is lying on the floor to be gathered.

"Template":"Maple","Components":{"BlockObject":{"Coordinates":
{"X":6,"Y":2,"Z":4}},"Growable":{"GrowthProgress":1.0},"CoordinatesOffseter":{"CoordinatesOffset":
{"X":-1.000050001,"Y":3.000050001}},"NaturalResourceModelRandomizer":
{"Rotation":132.8161,"DiameterScale":5.859234,"HeightScale":4.9629283},"Yielder:Cuttable":{"Yield":
{"Good":{"Id":"Log"},"Amount":160

drains.png

Giant tree ingame.png

Giant tree.png

strength.png

• Like 1

That's a solid piece of stuff you got there.

But wait. The source with improved strength - does it look like it pushes water upwards? Because I encountered a similar phenomenon in a Diorama play. It looked like the picture above, also a small disturbance could lead to water flowing even higher, above a neighboring levee, even two steps higher. Are the sources in Diorama also tweaked?

The upward going water is a 'wave'-effect. When there's suddenly a lot of water, it sloshes back and forth, until the stream is stabilized. Indeed this may cause a small flood. Most of the time you don't see this, because the differences are minimal.

I checked Diorama. To my surprise, they did the same thing 😄  Both sources in that map are strength 3, instead of the regular 1. Good find!

• 3 months later...