Jump to content

Narrow Canyon (128 x 200) - A eroded meandering canyon.


Recommended Posts

This meandering river was but a stream when the fall came. As the tidal wave receded, a new rift was formed. After ages passed by, the walls collapsed due to erosion, creating a beautiful habitat for our furry-ous brothers. And so our twelve comrades had found their home

This elongated map offers some waterlevel-management-challenges, but also a cosy living place for your new beaver colony. The steep edges are tricky to subdue, but when they have done so, the may enjoy the magnificent view!

The starting location has rock stairs and berries for a save start. Getting to the metals might be harder. 

Also, have you've seen the old bridge?

 

Overview.png

Starting Location.png

Top Down.png

Detail 1.png

Detail 2.png

Detail 3.png

Narrow Canyon.json

Edited by Jojo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jojo changed the title to Narrow Canyon (128 x 200) - A eroded meandering canyon.
  • 2 weeks later...

I made an account just to come in here and tell you how much I love this map. So beautiful, and such a wonderful layout. Water was becoming a major problem on this map for me (on hard), so I decided to improvise by starting my first ever Dam Project. My water pumps can operate at full capacity through an 8-day drought with plenty to spare. My goal is to start levying and go even higher! Thank you for your hard work!1941289105_damproject.thumb.png.050e387364befbaec213c2ffe0dc46fa.png

Edited by Fael
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fael said:

I made an account just to come in here and tell you how much I love this map. So beautiful, and such a wonderful layout. Water was becoming a major problem on this map for me (on hard), so I decided to improvise by starting my first ever Dam Project. My water pumps can operate at full capacity through an 8-day drought with plenty to spare. My goal is to start levying and go even higher! Thank you for your hard work!1941289105_damproject.thumb.png.050e387364befbaec213c2ffe0dc46fa.png

Hi Fael,

Thank you very much for your very kind feedback. I really appreciate it...

I'd like to know about your further progress! have you expanded to the rest of the map already?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jojo said:

Hi Fael,

Thank you very much for your very kind feedback. I really appreciate it...

I'd like to know about your further progress! have you expanded to the rest of the map already?

Here is an overview of my settlement so far. I made a smaller Dam to control fill-levels of the main reservoir (I plan to make this one taller when I relocate all industrial to the upper ledges). The main hub "valley" that you created has been agriculture since the beginning of my playthrough. I placed a dam in order to allow those crops to continue growing through droughts. The upper "dry" ledge became a main living hub very recently. I actually started with the small skyscraper to the left in order to reach the upper ledges before clearing out the trees near the right side natural staircase. New agricultural hub is moving to the top plateau (as you can see in the middle) now that I'm preparing to expand the river through demo. So far this is the only amount of the map that I have accessed!

image.thumb.png.6a5e41e85ec10161711fe73e198ab72e.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Fael said:

Here is an overview of my settlement so far. I made a smaller Dam to control fill-levels of the main reservoir (I plan to make this one taller when I relocate all industrial to the upper ledges). The main hub "valley" that you created has been agriculture since the beginning of my playthrough. I placed a dam in order to allow those crops to continue growing through droughts. The upper "dry" ledge became a main living hub very recently. I actually started with the small skyscraper to the left in order to reach the upper ledges before clearing out the trees near the right side natural staircase. New agricultural hub is moving to the top plateau (as you can see in the middle) now that I'm preparing to expand the river through demo. So far this is the only amount of the map that I have accessed!

image.thumb.png.6a5e41e85ec10161711fe73e198ab72e.png

Thats great! You've made a cosy place for your people :-) It's cool to see that some things you used the same as I did, but others completely different. I made my dam right at the beginning of the river. 

Clever, to use the stairs that you had to build anyway, also for creating that tower. I'm not much of a decoration-person myself, but I do like all those little spots of beauty hear and there. It makes it much more 'home'

If you have any 'constructive'  feedback, it would be great if you'd share it!

Keep it up!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, Jojo said:

Thats great! You've made a cosy place for your people 🙂 It's cool to see that some things you used the same as I did, but others completely different. I made my dam right at the beginning of the river. 

Clever, to use the stairs that you had to build anyway, also for creating that tower. I'm not much of a decoration-person myself, but I do like all those little spots of beauty hear and there. It makes it much more 'home'

If you have any 'constructive'  feedback, it would be great if you'd share it!

Keep it up!

 

Just a quick update for you here. I'm currently on Cycle 42 on Hard difficulty. I've managed to raise my primary dam that I showed 2 levels and back-flooded a majority of the river area. I've created my 2nd district on the ridge across the far river, and completed the larger reservoir that I thought I was going to need to top-off the expanded flood zone during long droughts. I've now made it through an 11 day drought without the water dropping 1 level, and have yet to open the floodgates on the reservoir, so I may end up just changing it to dams instead of floodgates. That district has become dedicated to wood supply.

 

I have also (finally) accessed the "skyscraper basement" on the back portion of the map. I plan to start my 3rd district there and create an underground skyscraper myself. My primary concern with that expansion is water, and I am unsure what type of district it will be.

 

I have finally reached the district building limits for my first district, so I will plan on adding another one near my industry section when needed. I assume it will primarily be a farming / industry district. I still plan to redirect the elevated river in order to 

 

Still would like to push my love for this map. There are a lot of small secrets hidden throughout, and a lot of creative potential. I know the locations of my housing is not ideal, nor efficient, but I am mainly going for aesthetics with this build. I enjoy the storytelling potential of this map. The only suggestion that I currently have based on my playstyle is more water accessibility on the ridge that runs along the right side of my screenshot. There are some places where the demolition required is very significant in order to redirect those water sources. However, I still have hope that the developers come up with a water management system (i.e. pipes and pumps similar to the power sources) soon, and that would manage a lot of my issues. Thank you again for such a beautiful map to play on!

383207995_update113.thumb.png.540404b931d2c18e14a9ec19da5a95a7.png

Edited by Fael
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.. that rock is just perfect for a living-quarter, right? :-) looks so strong, those houses on top! Very defendable when the Marauding Rats will show up. 

Good to hear that you managed to create a stable society there! This will give you a good basis for further expansion.

So funny to hear you calling that "skyscraper basement" 😄 With no explanation, you gave it meaning. Same may be for the ruins on top of the spire, much more downstream. 

To address you suggestion: What I tried with this map, is to force the player into the canyon, between its walls. The cramped space is the challenge. I didn't intend the upper ledges to be usable. So that might be the reason that there's indeed not much water available on the "other" side. To be clear, I'm absolutally not saying you're doing it wrong, or whatsoever! Its truly inspirational to see this map exploited in ways I didn't image. But to be honest, I think the bottom of the canyon is a bit to narrow to support a functional settlement. I think it might be about 30% wider, because you do need a lot of space for food and tree production.

I really want to redo this map.. I've much more ideas, to tell a story with this map. The new version may include the following changes:

  • longest map: 200 -> 256 length.
  • starting district in the middle of the map, so you can expand in two directions
  • lesser space up the ledges
  • same starting-location layout (I call it 'the Cradle') , but with a few very little improvements
  • the old bridge closer to the start-location, and its "repairable"
  • some islands in the river
  • more space at the bottom
  • the erosion already does look natural, but need to be improved
  • more special locations, secrets and "stories".
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies for the purposes of: collecting information about the website use, saving settings and personalizing the User interface. You may change your cookie settings at any time. Read more in our Privacy Policy and Cookies