Narrow Canyon (128 x 200) - A eroded meandering canyon.

Jojo

This meandering river was but a stream when the fall came. As the tidal wave receded, a new rift was formed. After ages passed by, the walls collapsed due to erosion, creating a beautiful habitat for our furry-ous brothers. And so our twelve comrades had found their home

This elongated map offers some waterlevel-management-challenges, but also a cosy living place for your new beaver colony. The steep edges are tricky to subdue, but when they have done so, the may enjoy the magnificent view!

The starting location has rock stairs and berries for a save start. Getting to the metals might be harder. 

Also, have you've seen the old bridge?

Overview.png

Starting Location.png

Top Down.png

Detail 1.png

Detail 2.png

Detail 3.png

Narrow Canyon.json

Edited by Jojo
  • Like 3

• Jojo changed the title to Narrow Canyon (128 x 200) - A eroded meandering canyon.
  • 2 weeks later...

I made an account just to come in here and tell you how much I love this map. So beautiful, and such a wonderful layout. Water was becoming a major problem on this map for me (on hard), so I decided to improvise by starting my first ever Dam Project. My water pumps can operate at full capacity through an 8-day drought with plenty to spare. My goal is to start levying and go even higher! Thank you for your hard work!1941289105_damproject.thumb.png.050e387364befbaec213c2ffe0dc46fa.png

Edited by Fael

14 minutes ago, Fael said:

I made an account just to come in here and tell you how much I love this map. So beautiful, and such a wonderful layout. Water was becoming a major problem on this map for me (on hard), so I decided to improvise by starting my first ever Dam Project. My water pumps can operate at full capacity through an 8-day drought with plenty to spare. My goal is to start levying and go even higher! Thank you for your hard work!1941289105_damproject.thumb.png.050e387364befbaec213c2ffe0dc46fa.png

Hi Fael,

Thank you very much for your very kind feedback. I really appreciate it...

I'd like to know about your further progress! have you expanded to the rest of the map already?

4 hours ago, Jojo said:

Hi Fael,

Thank you very much for your very kind feedback. I really appreciate it...

I'd like to know about your further progress! have you expanded to the rest of the map already?

Here is an overview of my settlement so far. I made a smaller Dam to control fill-levels of the main reservoir (I plan to make this one taller when I relocate all industrial to the upper ledges). The main hub "valley" that you created has been agriculture since the beginning of my playthrough. I placed a dam in order to allow those crops to continue growing through droughts. The upper "dry" ledge became a main living hub very recently. I actually started with the small skyscraper to the left in order to reach the upper ledges before clearing out the trees near the right side natural staircase. New agricultural hub is moving to the top plateau (as you can see in the middle) now that I'm preparing to expand the river through demo. So far this is the only amount of the map that I have accessed!

image.thumb.png.6a5e41e85ec10161711fe73e198ab72e.png

37 minutes ago, Fael said:

Here is an overview of my settlement so far. I made a smaller Dam to control fill-levels of the main reservoir (I plan to make this one taller when I relocate all industrial to the upper ledges). The main hub "valley" that you created has been agriculture since the beginning of my playthrough. I placed a dam in order to allow those crops to continue growing through droughts. The upper "dry" ledge became a main living hub very recently. I actually started with the small skyscraper to the left in order to reach the upper ledges before clearing out the trees near the right side natural staircase. New agricultural hub is moving to the top plateau (as you can see in the middle) now that I'm preparing to expand the river through demo. So far this is the only amount of the map that I have accessed!

image.thumb.png.6a5e41e85ec10161711fe73e198ab72e.png

Thats great! You've made a cosy place for your people :-) It's cool to see that some things you used the same as I did, but others completely different. I made my dam right at the beginning of the river. 

Clever, to use the stairs that you had to build anyway, also for creating that tower. I'm not much of a decoration-person myself, but I do like all those little spots of beauty hear and there. It makes it much more 'home'

If you have any 'constructive'  feedback, it would be great if you'd share it!

Keep it up!

On 10/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, Jojo said:

Thats great! You've made a cosy place for your people 🙂 It's cool to see that some things you used the same as I did, but others completely different. I made my dam right at the beginning of the river. 

Clever, to use the stairs that you had to build anyway, also for creating that tower. I'm not much of a decoration-person myself, but I do like all those little spots of beauty hear and there. It makes it much more 'home'

If you have any 'constructive'  feedback, it would be great if you'd share it!

Keep it up!

Just a quick update for you here. I'm currently on Cycle 42 on Hard difficulty. I've managed to raise my primary dam that I showed 2 levels and back-flooded a majority of the river area. I've created my 2nd district on the ridge across the far river, and completed the larger reservoir that I thought I was going to need to top-off the expanded flood zone during long droughts. I've now made it through an 11 day drought without the water dropping 1 level, and have yet to open the floodgates on the reservoir, so I may end up just changing it to dams instead of floodgates. That district has become dedicated to wood supply.

I have also (finally) accessed the "skyscraper basement" on the back portion of the map. I plan to start my 3rd district there and create an underground skyscraper myself. My primary concern with that expansion is water, and I am unsure what type of district it will be.

I have finally reached the district building limits for my first district, so I will plan on adding another one near my industry section when needed. I assume it will primarily be a farming / industry district. I still plan to redirect the elevated river in order to 

Still would like to push my love for this map. There are a lot of small secrets hidden throughout, and a lot of creative potential. I know the locations of my housing is not ideal, nor efficient, but I am mainly going for aesthetics with this build. I enjoy the storytelling potential of this map. The only suggestion that I currently have based on my playstyle is more water accessibility on the ridge that runs along the right side of my screenshot. There are some places where the demolition required is very significant in order to redirect those water sources. However, I still have hope that the developers come up with a water management system (i.e. pipes and pumps similar to the power sources) soon, and that would manage a lot of my issues. Thank you again for such a beautiful map to play on!

383207995_update113.thumb.png.540404b931d2c18e14a9ec19da5a95a7.png

Edited by Fael
typo

Yeah.. that rock is just perfect for a living-quarter, right? :-) looks so strong, those houses on top! Very defendable when the Marauding Rats will show up. 

Good to hear that you managed to create a stable society there! This will give you a good basis for further expansion.

So funny to hear you calling that "skyscraper basement" 😄 With no explanation, you gave it meaning. Same may be for the ruins on top of the spire, much more downstream. 

To address you suggestion: What I tried with this map, is to force the player into the canyon, between its walls. The cramped space is the challenge. I didn't intend the upper ledges to be usable. So that might be the reason that there's indeed not much water available on the "other" side. To be clear, I'm absolutally not saying you're doing it wrong, or whatsoever! Its truly inspirational to see this map exploited in ways I didn't image. But to be honest, I think the bottom of the canyon is a bit to narrow to support a functional settlement. I think it might be about 30% wider, because you do need a lot of space for food and tree production.

I really want to redo this map.. I've much more ideas, to tell a story with this map. The new version may include the following changes:

• longest map: 200 -> 256 length.
  • starting district in the middle of the map, so you can expand in two directions
  • lesser space up the ledges
  • same starting-location layout (I call it 'the Cradle') , but with a few very little improvements
  • the old bridge closer to the start-location, and its "repairable"
  • some islands in the river
  • more space at the bottom
  • the erosion already does look natural, but need to be improved
  • more special locations, secrets and "stories".

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, soapwad said:

This map enables you to build the biggest and most amazing dam any beaver could ever dream of. I wish more maps were like this

great to hear that! thanks! picture?

I took one look and my eyes filled with tears of water, lots and lots of dam water - I am going to be away from the world for the next few days/weeks/months while working on this absolutely beautiful canyon/valley map.

Good times ahead, I will post once I have something worthy of showcasing 🙂 
The Folktails are super eager to begin on this hard-mode Narrow Canyon map, gameplay commences tomorrow!

I played this map on hard mode with Ironteeth.

I had a very difficult start, mainly because I only got 2 days before the 3 day warning, and the first drought was 6 days.  Everybody died, or was about to do so, 3 times until I got the start just right in 5 working days.

After the first drought, the game proceeded well with no more major disasters.  Water as always is the main issue in hard mode.

Space is tight on the river banks and valley.  There is enough of everything, but not a lot of excess at first.  Once I could green up the large plateau, things sped up.

The pic shows my development to cycle 17.  I have already survived 22 and 24 day droughts with water left over, and have added a lot of water storage since then.

So, a good fun map.   1652651884_Screenshot(555).thumb.jpg.af1d05cf94ee7ce1e7defe2b07eb43fc.jpg

On 1/30/2022 at 1:32 PM, Mad Dokta said:

I took one look and my eyes filled with tears of water, lots and lots of dam water - I am going to be away from the world for the next few days/weeks/months while working on this absolutely beautiful canyon/valley map.

Good times ahead, I will post once I have something worthy of showcasing 🙂 
The Folktails are super eager to begin on this hard-mode Narrow Canyon map, gameplay commences tomorrow!

On 2/5/2022 at 8:00 AM, gerryw said:

I played this map on hard mode with Ironteeth.

I had a very difficult start, mainly because I only got 2 days before the 3 day warning, and the first drought was 6 days.  Everybody died, or was about to do so, 3 times until I got the start just right in 5 working days.

After the first drought, the game proceeded well with no more major disasters.  Water as always is the main issue in hard mode.

Space is tight on the river banks and valley.  There is enough of everything, but not a lot of excess at first.  Once I could green up the large plateau, things sped up.

The pic shows my development to cycle 17.  I have already survived 22 and 24 day droughts with water left over, and have added a lot of water storage since then.

So, a good fun map.   1652651884_Screenshot(555).thumb.jpg.af1d05cf94ee7ce1e7defe2b07eb43fc.jpg

Hi both!

Really glad to hear you're enjoying this map! great to watch your builds. Keep us posted with more updates!

• Like 1

The first day/s was the toughest as there is little food and I had to very quickly rush a farm before the water pump and began planting like madness - hardest map start I have found so far 🙂. Once the farm was built and the crops had been planted, the water pump and warehouses were the very next in line, alongside the dam for the small upper area as well as beginning to dam control some of the lower area water source as can be seen in this early stage pic (Cycle 1, Day 6).

The next cycles were then managing this lower level water source while I kept the carrot crops growing like madness to ensure there was a surplus for the colony. The next thing I had to do was dam control the lower level water source, this made the next number of cycles rather manageable as I kept a reasonably large water content in the pumps and a few water tanks.

As the progression grew so did the length of drought days and as such I was finding my self micromanaging the entire colony of beaver to prioritise their jobs - the main task being to dam the upper water source areas as can be seen in the next pic many many cycles later - my production was slow but my focus was on logging and building the huge levees (Cycle 12, Day 9).

This brings me to my current stage of water control and colony progression. I only had one day off to play this map so far and I finished with, what I consider, a reasonably abundant water source 🙂 though managing the limited flow height of the floodgates caused me to have to destroy some of them multiple times and rebuild during the drought period as there was plenty of water but not enough to flow above the floodgate at its lowest level 😞 this cost my plenty of wood and beaverhours of wasted labour. However, once I worked out to control the multiple dam flows, I have reached a relatively comfortable position where I am able to just preplan for upcoming layout changes and further dam controls to further increase my water holding and make the upper areas fertile enough to live off. My current state can be seen in the last pic with a drought that went for 20-30 days (Cycle 14, Day 12).

I will post further once I have a good layout set in place and something that is more, aesthetically pleasing to view 🙂

20220209104551_1.jpg

20220209213432_1.jpg

20220212215239_1.jpg

On 2/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, Mad Dokta said:

The first day/s was the toughest as there is little food and I had to very quickly rush a farm before the water pump and began planting like madness - hardest map start I have found so far 🙂. Once the farm was built and the crops had been planted, the water pump and warehouses were the very next in line, alongside the dam for the small upper area as well as beginning to dam control some of the lower area water source as can be seen in this early stage pic (Cycle 1, Day 6).

The next cycles were then managing this lower level water source while I kept the carrot crops growing like madness to ensure there was a surplus for the colony. The next thing I had to do was dam control the lower level water source, this made the next number of cycles rather manageable as I kept a reasonably large water content in the pumps and a few water tanks.

As the progression grew so did the length of drought days and as such I was finding my self micromanaging the entire colony of beaver to prioritise their jobs - the main task being to dam the upper water source areas as can be seen in the next pic many many cycles later - my production was slow but my focus was on logging and building the huge levees (Cycle 12, Day 9).

This brings me to my current stage of water control and colony progression. I only had one day off to play this map so far and I finished with, what I consider, a reasonably abundant water source 🙂 though managing the limited flow height of the floodgates caused me to have to destroy some of them multiple times and rebuild during the drought period as there was plenty of water but not enough to flow above the floodgate at its lowest level 😞 this cost my plenty of wood and beaverhours of wasted labour. However, once I worked out to control the multiple dam flows, I have reached a relatively comfortable position where I am able to just preplan for upcoming layout changes and further dam controls to further increase my water holding and make the upper areas fertile enough to live off. My current state can be seen in the last pic with a drought that went for 20-30 days (Cycle 14, Day 12).

I will post further once I have a good layout set in place and something that is more, aesthetically pleasing to view 🙂

20220209104551_1.jpg

20220209213432_1.jpg

20220212215239_1.jpg

Wow.. very impressive damwork! Also great to read your colony log so far. Great input for version 2! Keep it up!

By the way, what is the purpose of the dam behind the districtcenter in picture 3?

do you think this map is suited for pumps?

How can I further improve?

I think there is some use for pumps, but I personally have yet to find any need for them, same goes for the irrigation towers - it is just my method of play.

The dam behind the district center is for future plantation as you can see in the screenshot (current state as I am posting)

I personally think the map is great, toughest hard mode start I have had so far. I found the difficult terrain forces the player to make difficult decisions of cautious expansion, resource management and population control - especially in the early game. Perhaps placing the player starting point in a less tree abundant location with some potential flood hazard would be interesting, maybe less manmade stairs to test how well the player prioritises in the early start.

I will resume my beaver paradise tomorrow, if I have anything worthy to post I will - perhaps with a sort of backstory 🙂

20220215001744_1.jpg

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.d01cb60a7fdd4e9c7abee688c80e88e0.pngPOP 30 progress hard mode.
Very enjoyable map 🙂
im not so skilled on Damming water yet, but i enjoy the sim city aspect.

image.thumb.png.60a48ba4ca43317f4c086a66e44eed30.png

2nd picture:
Forestry on the lower left
Farming and Industry/power on the upper right.