After hitting a population of around sixty beavers, the Great Castor Potato Famine struck. I ended up with a population of two. It took a very long time for those two survivors to pop out an off-spring to begin to rebuild their society. It might have been thirty minutes of staring at the screen . They had plenty of food. I gave them extra leisure time to get their beaver on. Nothing seemed to help. From my perspective, such a small population would have a great incentive to breed in order to increase the society's odd for survival. Additionally, increasing the population when it is so low increases the labor pool. Due to these incentives, at a lower population the beavers should breed quicker. At a higher population without these pressures, rates of beaver reproduction should slow. By the way, once those two finally got going, I was able to get the population up to over four hundred with very few issues. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Developers

Perhaps the horrible image of their neighbors and relatives dying left and right was too fresh. They just needed a moment!

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

• Haha 1