Sink Hole (128x128) - A lush valley in desolate urban area

When our predecessors fell and their cities were abandoned, some of the underground infrastructure continued to function for thousands of years. Underground cavities collapsed, due to erosion of the sewers. During a food quest, twelve of our industrious brothers discovered this beautiful recently formed valley. Let's get gnawing, brothers!

This map consists of a green valley, ruins on top of the surrounding high cliffs. However not on the screenshots, there are several stone stairs.

Important note: No, the valley will not flood! 😉

Update: I added berries!

Overview 2.png

View.png

Detail 1.png

Overview 1.png

Starting Location.png

Edited by Jojo
  • Like 1

I really like this map. It's surprisingly difficult I tried it twice, once with each type of beaver. Both on Hard mode.

The first one I lost because I didn't build a farm quick enough and ran out of food. The second time I made it to season 10 but I had two big water scares, the second of which killed me. 

I'll think I'll try it again on normal mode and see it the water problem is any different.

10 hours ago, litrapod said:

I really like this map. It's surprisingly difficult I tried it twice, once with each type of beaver. Both on Hard mode.

The first one I lost because I didn't build a farm quick enough and ran out of food. The second time I made it to season 10 but I had two big water scares, the second of which killed me. 

I'll think I'll try it again on normal mode and see it the water problem is any different.

Thanks! Good to hear. Indeed there is not much elevation to capture water. Good luck next time! let me know how it went

Had a good go at it with the iron beavers, got to about cycle 8 (Hard) and died from basically not balancing the numbers of them well with the water supply - will go at it again it should be smooth sailing when you have leveed a reservoir at the start of the flow at around 5 tiles high and 6x6 (ish) square. Good challenge and good fun - especially tight on the resources, place water, woodcutting, gatherer and a farm asap as your first things, and then plant as soon as you can, it's unforgiving if you don't. On my first try I got down to 1 adult and 2 children - luckily.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one beautiful map. The post apocalyptic theme really deserves more love and devs' attention in this game. Shame that I haven't managed to reach any metal, and I'm trying to avoid building new districts. But I love how picturesque this map is, how you hid the water sources, it took me some time to find the water's outflow. I just don't really know where to develop, where to go here on this map...

On 10/31/2021 at 1:27 AM, Don Chezare said:

This is one beautiful map. The post apocalyptic theme really deserves more love and devs' attention in this game. Shame that I haven't managed to reach any metal, and I'm trying to avoid building new districts. But I love how picturesque this map is, how you hid the water sources, it took me some time to find the water's outflow. I just don't really know where to develop, where to go here on this map...

Hi Don and Rebecca,

Thanks for your both responses!  It means a lot to me to see players enyoing my map! thats just great.

Due to your feedback, I decided to update this map a little:

- Starting location more central, so more of the map can be accessed from the first district center. Also, the spire with ruins on top becomes more accessible. (thanks Don)

- Removed the outflow (What?!). Yes, this one is really cool! The map stil wont overflow, because I did some magic 😄 wonder if anyone can figure it out!

- I made a new smal reservoir, to help a little bit during the first seasons. This may give more opportunities for building watermanagement-thingies (Thanks Rebecca)

Download here the updated version!

New reservoir.png

Top Down.png

Sink Hole (v2).timber

12 hours ago, Jojo said:

- Removed the outflow (What?!). Yes, this one is really cool! The map stil wont overflow, because I did some magic 😄 wonder if anyone can figure it out!

sorry but right after the 1st drought the map did indeed got flooded,

i saw what u tried to do with the inverse water source but for some reason it stopped working after the drought..

7 minutes ago, BadaiNemesis said:

sorry but right after the 1st drought the map did indeed got flooded,

i saw what u tried to do with the inverse water source but for some reason it stopped working after the drought..

Really! Oh no... 😞 thats a shame.. So that means that the drought-end simply resets all the currentstream-values back to 1.. 

19 hours ago, Jojo said:

Hi Don and Rebecca,

Thanks for your both responses!  It means a lot to me to see players enyoing my map! thats just great.

Due to your feedback, I decided to update this map a little:

- Starting location more central, so more of the map can be accessed from the first district center. Also, the spire with ruins on top becomes more accessible. (thanks Don)

- I made a new smal reservoir, to help a little bit during the first seasons. This may give more opportunities for building watermanagement-thingies (Thanks Rebecca)

Download here the updated version!

New reservoir.png

Top Down.png

Sink Hole (v2).timber 177.1 kB · 3 downloads

Dayum, now I have to try it again! I wonder what your contraption is.

21 minutes ago, Don Chezare said:

Dayum, now I have to try it again! I wonder what your contraption is.

well, it doest work unfortunately... 😞

I added a watersource with a negative currentstream-value. That way, it 'sucks' the water out. Very cool! but, as Badai pointed out, it resets after the first drought. 

34 minutes ago, Don Chezare said:

Damn, and we could have a new way to push boundaries on our hands 🙂

Actually, a storm drain could be a solid suggestion to the devs.

Hurrray! Got It workin!

I adjustednot only currentStrength, but also SpecifiedStrength and this time, after a drought, the water- 'drain' started working again! I'm so happy! 

There's one caveat. When testing, sometimes the drain stopped working the same time as the watersources. So during the first day of drought, while the rivers were still full and flowing, the water wasnt drained, and the end-reservoir flooded a bit. Nothing to much, I think it wont be a problem. 

See below the updated map.

Sink Hole (v2) J.timber

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really nice and very interesting map, if only the sink worked correctly.

But it doesn't work well - too much of the map keeps flooding, because the sink stops working a few days before the dry season (it seems to stop working around the 3 day countdown), and even when the dry season is ongoing, I can't drain enough water through evaporation+pumping to clear the low-lying lands. And after the dry season in cycle 4 it took 3 days for the lower lands to clear up - and then the countdown started for the next dry season a day later.

Unfortunately too much of the map is unusable too much of the time. I can't really find a workaround unless I start exploding the high ground all the way down to the valley floor to drain the water this way.

Perhaps you could add even more negative water source, but guard them behind a small overflow wall at the end? So if there is any overflow, it'll drain it all very very quickly, but if not, it'll still keep the valley irrigated? But it still doesn't help the problem of the sink stopping to work around the countdown flooding the valley.

I think you have to make a narrow escape path for the water so it drains "naturally" regardless of season.

This screenshot is 0.1 day before the dry season starts - half the valley is flooded:
1396124103_ScreenShot2021-11-10at23_22_00.thumb.png.d7c738a0f89bac5b44f94cffb29f7a21.png