End Game is Super Laggy

H8q

I would like to see if anyone else is having issues with the game running very slow/low fps/laggy when you reach near end game. I have a very powerful PC so I dont think its a hardware issue. I got my population to about 800 with about 5-6 fully operational districts and cant seem to play the game at X2 or X3 speed without it dramatically lagging. I even went to the point to try to kill off almost have my population by sending them to a empty district but even now with a population around 400-500 i still have issues. 

If anyone one has any fixes or solutions I would love to see what they are and try it. I have messed with the in game settings a little but no luck. I also havnt built anything too extravagant or flooded the whole map or anything. I love playing this game but really dont want to lose my city because it is almost becoming un-playable due to the lag. Thanks for any advice in advance.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I found the lag is directly linked to the haulers. I made a city that has 1500 beavers and over 200,000 items/food in storage. If I pause all 50 hauling posts it runs fine no lag at all. If I turn the hauling posts on the game is unplayable it literally takes 3 days real time for the game to move 1 day with them on and you cant do anything in the game with out it being paused not even pan of move. So the problem is with the code for haulers. The down side is with no haulers my city dies cause water and food are not moved to storage fast enough to keep production up.

I am currently trying to find a city setup that works with out haulers as a work around till the problem is fixed.

There does need to be some understanding that you purchased an early access game.

It is not going to be optimized.

You may encounter bugs, conditions and changes that force you to start over.

Some of your favorite nuances to gameplay and features may get change due to the whiney hordes or developer whims and preferences.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:20 AM, HasCookies said:

I found the lag is directly linked to the haulers. I made a city that has 1500 beavers and over 200,000 items/food in storage. If I pause all 50 hauling posts it runs fine no lag at all. If I turn the hauling posts on the game is unplayable it literally takes 3 days real time for the game to move 1 day with them on and you cant do anything in the game with out it being paused not even pan of move. So the problem is with the code for haulers. The down side is with no haulers my city dies cause water and food are not moved to storage fast enough to keep production up.

I am currently trying to find a city setup that works with out haulers as a work around till the problem is fixed.

I tried your approach with no haulers and deactivated all haulers. Did not change anything for me. Do I also have to delete the buildings?

It has to be a problem with how the game is programmed. I have quite a decent PC as well. My CPU is never above 40 %, RAM is at 75 % and GPU at 15 %. That tells me that it can't be a hardware issue (which would be weird, because I play other games that are way more grafic intense), the game is just not using the hardware correctly. This issue should be the number one priority over everything else, because in lategame the game gets unplayable even on highend machines and using lowest grafic settings.

I currently have a 1000+ beaver city and am working on an insanely gigantic dam, but it's really difficult to finish it because of the lag.

The lag decreases when it's bed time for the beavers, so I'm guessing the majority of lag is from the beaver animation. Also the tree cutting mode makes the game extremly laggy, so there is something off with that as well.

Edited by Lambadaschnitte

• 2 months later...

Being a developer (not of this game) I had a look through profiling tools on macOS about what is happening. I'm playing the game with a M1 Pro CPU/GPU and when lags happen (population of 600), the game is actually limited by CPU work, not graphics. The sad point is that the game is not using the other available cores with on average 1,5 core fully used (out of 10). Another way to see this is for the game to become more CPU work efficient while remaining on one core. And M1 Pro is one of the fastest on single core performance according to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html so I can imagine it's a pain for other people. In my case I get ~29 FPS at normal speed and 15 FPS with x3 speed in 4K resolution.

I hope the game developers will improve this part!

Most games that track the various needs and jobs of numerous, independent entities - such as beavers or colonists - are bound to slow down given a large enough population, because each new beaver requires a whole character sheet to be updated every few moments. A rough example:

A beaver is working at a water pump. Every few moments, we need to update the beaver's needs, so we have an idea of how much time is left until they need to drink; their satisfaction in each activity, so all foods, fun, monuments, aesthetics, in order to determine how much our beaver can carry, how fast they walk, how quickly they work; whether they are currently under the influence of a monument/shrub/etc. so as to update their needs accordingly; the time they have spent working, to calculate productivity; the pump's storage, so our beaver knows when to stop pumping, and haulers know when to pass by; how much water is reserved by haulers or thirsty beavers already, so we do not send a dozen haulers at once for the same job; etc.

Each of these things can be updated more or less often: for example, the pump's storage can be updated only when something is added (pumping) or substracted (beavers take a drink), and left untouched the rest of the time; if needs do not decrease at the same rate, it is possible to make the slower ones tick less often, so that your computer takes less time on them, thus increasing available resources for other things. Still, the more beavers there are, the more calculations will need to be done, and the more your computer will be subject to slowing down, because at some point one real-time second will not be enough to update everything that happens in one game-time second.

This point depends on hardware, game engine, software, the fervour of your prayers to Ol'Kazko... Software optimisation can require a lot of work (multi-threading for example seems to be a pain), and it does not make much sense on a game system that can change drastically. Imagine creating special rules, rewriting things, tinkering away for a few days or weeks so as to optimise hauling jobs, and some time later you learn that said jobs are due for a complete overhaul and all your work has to be scrapped.

A realistic solution on your end, in the meantime, is to restrict the number of beavers. It is not necessarily fun, but it is the only reasonable solution I see for now.