bad tutorial has me taking a frustration break in first 2 minutes of game.

Is it just me or is the tutorial broken? or I missing something seriously WTF.

I mean I assume a game dev wants a somewhat intuitive game that doesn't immediately stumble a new player in the first couple of minutes.  I'm not even a basic player, I have many many hours of 4X games under my belt.  I've even watched basic setup of Timberborn before buying the game.

So Why aren't lumberjack flags connected and am I turning to the Web for things the tutorial doesn't communicate adequately?

It says build lumberjack flags and the lumber icon even animates to give clue, great!  then it says they aren't connected by paths, when they are connected by paths, and the function i used is the path function now being highlighted.  I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm doing something wrong but not accept that there are no clear resources to mitigate this. 

20211011153148_1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as OP here. Completely lost two minutes into the game. The paths won't connect to the flags and the game doesn't offer me any more information. Couldn't find an undo button so I had to exit and start over four times to try anything new. Finally 20 minutes after installing it, I'm searching forums instead of playing the game.

You are asked to place the flags without any explanation of the arrows, and then are seemingly trapped in a dead-end if you do it incorrectly. Just a line of text, about what the arrows mean and do, would have helped me out a lot here.

11 hours ago, Karmachine said:

I'm in the same boat as OP here. Completely lost two minutes into the game. The paths won't connect to the flags and the game doesn't offer me any more information. Couldn't find an undo button so I had to exit and start over four times to try anything new. Finally 20 minutes after installing it, I'm searching forums instead of playing the game.

You are asked to place the flags without any explanation of the arrows, and then are seemingly trapped in a dead-end if you do it incorrectly. Just a line of text, about what the arrows mean and do, would have helped me out a lot here.

For me the arrows are a little obvious, but I understand that somebody could not realise that you need to connect the arrows to the path. Even though they have improved the tutorial it still seems to lack something. For example they didin't even explain dams that are very important in this game for the beavers to survive

On 11/12/2021 at 4:13 AM, KennedyKomornik said:

For me the arrows are a little obvious, but I understand that somebody could not realise that you need to connect the arrows to the path. Even though they have improved the tutorial it still seems to lack something. For example they didin't even explain dams that are very important in this game for the beavers to survive

So I was aiming the arrow at a tree. I thought the arrow connected to the resource and not the path. Doing this was the only way to really fail here, because the path was then blocked by the tree, unable to ever be reached. The arrows seem so obvious now, but at the very very beginning I needed more hand-holding. The "flag" thing is ambiguous, both conceptual and graphically. If it was another structure with an obvious entrance it would have made immediate sense. If the flag was already placed on the map, and I was asked to connect a path to it, it would have been clear. If it had a line of text that said, "Arrows are the entrance to your structure and connect it to your network of paths", that would have helped. Instead I found the one way to fail catastrophically and I did it over and over. 🤣

Anyways, I spent some time in the game and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely agree about the dams, I knew I had to use them  from the whole theme of the game, but was lost for a while. I didn't really understand how to use them until I happed to watch a drought happen from the right perspective. The tutorial should have a little drought explainer that zooms out and shows how it affects the map at scale. Tutorials are hard design problems. You don't want to be prescriptivist and tell the player exactly how to play the game. You also don't want to be so ambiguous that the player misses vital mechanics and ends up in frustrating dead ends. Discovery is one of the most satisfying aspects of these games, but so far most of these discoveries has led me to starting over from scratch, instead of adapting and evolving. 

• Like 2